Monday, November 21, 2011

The Wheat Harvest

Hillary Hamilton

Oct.13, 2011



In the summer my family, my uncle, and about three others go on the wheat harvest. We usually go about a week after school is over. Before we leave we have to clean and pack our trailer. That takes me about three days just to pack my stuff. The day we leave we always have to get up very early. Then we leave. It is usually about an hour or so before we eat supper when we arrive. Haley and I would then walk our dog while the men hook up our trailers. Then Haley and I would put our stuff away. We usually do this pretty fast. There are three trailers. We stay in one, the help and Dallas stay in one, and my uncle stays in one. Then we either all go out to eat, or mom will take Haley and I to eat if the men go to the field to unload the equipment.

  The next day we would go to the store with mom. Then we go home and mom cooks supper. I usually read, finish a chore, or play on my computer while mom cooks supper. Then all three of us load the car with the food. We drive to the field and eat; I usually sit in the pickup bed where we put all of the food. Usually everyone else sits around the pickup staying out of the wind. After everyone has eaten we go back home and start on the dishes.

   The guys wake up around six or seven in the morning. They usually have to get fuel and run errands. My dad also goes to the grocery store to get their lunch, snacks, and drinks. Then they grab breakfast from a quick store and go to the field. Harvesting wheat is a lot like harvesting corn. At least it looks that way to me. When the combines are full, the auger cart comes to get the grain. Then when the auger cart is full it dumps the grain into the semi. When the semi can’t hold any more grain the driver rolls the cover over it and goes to the elevator. We go home about a week before school starts. The people who can, stay until the wheat is cut. We cut wheat in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment