Monday, November 21, 2011

Blank Summer Institute

Dally Veach

October 13, 2011


This past summer I stayed at the University of Iowa for five days and attended BSI, which is an educational summer camp. The admission process is slightly complicated. I had to write an essay about who I am and why I wanted to attend the camp. Secondly, I had to create a list of my hobbies and another list of awards I have won. Lastly, I had to have a nomination form and two letters of recommendation from teachers of my choice. I was accepted into this camp, in the Advanced Science category.

I arrived on Sunday June 26th, 2011. I attended an opening ceremony, then found my dorm room and put all of my stuff for the week in it. I was in class 6 hours each day, Monday thru Thursday. On Friday we only had morning class because we had the closing ceremony as a result of it being our last day at the university. In class we did college level physics, biology, and chemistry. It was kind of hard at times, but I think being challenged like that is a good way to learn new things.

During the week that I was in Iowa City, I met a lot of new friends, had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about many different things, not just science. Looking back, I am glad that I got this opportunity. It taught me to be open to new things, even if you don’t exactly want to be.   

No comments:

Post a Comment