Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dillon Lain - Shed Hunting

Dillon Lain
3/16/11
          Many people ask me, “What is shed hunting?”  Well, it is basically the same as hunting, except you don’t need a gun.  The most common way to shed hunt is walking where deer are located the most and constantly searching the ground for tines sticking up or things that seem out of the ordinary.  The best place to look for these antlers, also known as sheds, is near food or water.  The places I have the best luck are along cornfields, timber, or in tall grass bedding areas. There is really no point in finding these antlers, but they will tell hunters what deer survived the hunting seasons. They can be made into buttons or chandeliers if you desire. Shed hunting was not very popular, but in recent years it has became more and more popular, and now it is hard to find spots where nobody has looked. I started shed hunting when I was in 6th grade, and I have found around 40 sheds so far. This year I have found around 25 sheds, and I plan to keep searching for these treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment